Owning a short-term vacation rental (STVR) property can be a highly lucrative opportunity. However, you must be careful to ensure you’re going about the process of buying a Hawaii Island vacation rental legally. Here are some things you should know before you begin browsing my site www.SearchHawaiiProperty.com, or other sites like Zillow or Redfin in search of that perfect property for your vacation rental!

Stay in Your Hawaii Vacation Rental Zone

Perhaps the most important thing to realize about short-term vacation rental properties is they are limited to just a few zones. You can’t turn a property into a short-term vacation rental if it’s in a single-family residential zone or agricultural zone. Instead, the property must be in an area that’s been designated as a resort, hotel, or multi-family commercial zone. There is an exception is if you are wanting to turn Big Island real estate in a single-family residential zone into a bed and breakfast-style rental. This is where you remain in the home while guests are there. This is still allowed even with the latest regulations.

Keep in mind that some STVRs may still exist in non-eligible zones if the properties were purchased before September 2019. Some of these regulations were implemented as long as the owners obtained a Nonconforming Use Certificate from the County. In this case then they have not broken any laws.

Two of the most popular areas on Hawaii Island are included in the North Kona and South Kohala districts. In Hawaiian district is moku so you’ll see each of the district or moku pages for searches on my site www.SearchHawaiiProperty.com.

Even if you’re just getting into vacation rental Hawaii STVR’s, you may be able to purchase an existing rental in a single-family residential zone.  This is if that seller already has a Nonconforming Use Certificate and is current on all their filings and fees. This is completely legal. However, if at any point in an owner of the property falls behind on their annual lease renewal, the property will no longer be able to be exempt from the new regulations. The same is true if at any point an owner decides to use the home as something other than an STVR.

Complete the Right STVR Paperwork

There are a number of forms you’ll need to fill out in this process for your Hawaii vacation rental to ensure you’re fully compliant.

First, there is a rental application packet for STVRs.

If you’ve purchased a short-term vacation rental that is nonconforming, you’ll have to fill out a Nonconforming Use Certificate renewal application form when you purchase the property and every year following to ensure you’re compliant. You’ll also have to fill out an STVR change of information application form. when the owner of the STVR changes or the reachable person changes. An STVR affidavit of compliance form will also need to accompany the chance of information form.

Manage Your STVR Based on the Latest Regulations

Even after you’ve purchased Hawaii real estate and turned it into a vacation rental, there are still a number of regulations you must be mindful of. For example, for your vacation rental Hawaii STVR to remain compliant, you must have quiet hours from 9 P.M. to 8 A.M.

The best way to do this is simply by reading the regulations yourself. You can read both Ordinance 2018-114 (Bill 108) and Planning Department Rule 23 online. Make sure you are familiar with all of these rules to avoid fines and fees!

In the Hunt or Start the Hunt for Hawaii Vacation Rentals with Renee H. Kraft REALTOR BROKER

This is just a basic overview of the process for purchasing and managing Big Island real estate as a short-term vacation rental. There’s so much to know! This is why it’s ideal for you to work with a real estate professional that specializes in short-term vacation rentals. It important to remember your time is valuable so make life easier and save you headaches down the line. As an expert in Hawaii real estate with a Resort and Second-Home Property Specialist designation,

Renee is the perfect choice to make your STVR dreams come true!

Learn more about these regulations and others by contacting Renee today.


Leave a Reply